Monday, August 15, 2016

Motivation to Run

A comment I hear often is "Wow you run a lot, I need some of that motivation". 

Now what I consider a lot and what you consider a lot may be two totally different things. We can all agree that everyone is different. 

I suppose I do at least attempt to run what is a lot to me. In an ideal week I would get in about 25 miles, give or take if I am training for an event. 

The fact is however there are some days that I am not motivated at all to run!! There have been days when I would prefer to stay in the bed an extra hour and there have been days I HAVE stayed in bed that extra hour!

I have identified the following ways to keep motivated or rather to ward of the loss thereof. I hope these will help you when and if you are feeling that very same way.


1. Get Better Sleep.  I am an early morning runner. It is the only way I am able to get in a work out. I work full time and have a very active family so my days from 7a-10p are typically very busy.



2. Make a plan to meet friends. I am less likely to waiver on my run if I have a friend planning to meet me. Now be careful here. If you have a large group of friends meeting it’s easier to waiver. You may think well they will have each other so it will be ok if I miss. If you are struggling, scale back and plan to meet just one friend. Knowing that the one friend is counting on you will make you less likely to skip.  Make sure you make it ok for your friends to hold you accountable. I have said before to my runner friends “If I text in the morning that I am tired or “don’t feel good” please challenge me!” If I get a little push back I am also more likely to show up when I am not feeling it. 



3. Lay out your clothes and shoes the night before. Leave no excuses like “I couldn’t find my shoes”. Likewise with your keys! Make sure the night before you know where your keys are! Also put your clothes on when your alarm goes off. I bet you are less likely to crawl back in the bed if your running clothes are already on!



4. Just walk! Sometimes especially when it’s been so supper hot I have dreaded my run. I have also thought about not going for a run when I feel sore from a hard work out. It is ok to just walk sometimes. Getting outside is better than not! No matter the pace or distance just go out and do something! Relive the pressure a bit. It is ok!

beagle


5. Pay attention to your nutrition. I have noticed that when I am eating poorly I am more likely to feel lethargic and unmotivated to run. I have been tracking my food through MyFitnessPal and I can seriously tell a difference. When I eat whole real foods I feel better, sleep better and an more motivated to exercise! 



6. Focus on some personal development. Add a little something to you day that is not running related. Read a book, listen to a podcast, meditate, spend some time in a devotions series. Work on your own mental health. Keep your mind sharp by feeling it in addition to feeding your body. 



7. Drink lots of water all throughout your day! Water I believe just might be the answer to everything! Feeling bad, drink some water!


8. Stretch, wake up and do some stretches. This will help get your body ready for some work! 



9. Listen to a “power song”. I know you have one! That song that when it comes on while you are running you are instantly jet fueled and find your self charging it! Yeah! Play that song! You will find yourself out the door in a flash!



10. Tell yourself it is ok to feel this way! It is ok to feel like meh…. Everyone does at some point! But that is no reason to throw in the towel. Get up, get out and get in that run!



You can do it!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...