Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Outer Banks Sunrise 5k Race Recap

It's vacation week for the Avery's and we have ventured to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for the week. It is absolutely gorgeous here and unlike anywhere I have ever been! 

Of course I checked in advance of our trip to see if by chance there were any races going on down here the week we would be here and BINGO I found the Sunrise 5K!

I quickly signed Tess, my youngest daughter, and I up!

The race was held on Wednesday June 15th at 7:30 am in Nags Head, NC. Packet pick up was the day before in Kill Devil Hills, NC. This is all about 20-30 minutes north of where we are staying but we made a day of packet pick up and visited lots of landmarks and places to see along the way. The packet was really just the T-shirt, Bib and a Bumper Sticker. Registration was $38.00 for adults and less for kids and veterans. 

The T-shirt is super soft, 100% polyester and the bib is super cute with wild horses on it! (The Outer Banks is known for having wild horses living a roaming on the various islands.)



On race day we arrived around 7:00 am for the 7:30 am start. That was plenty of time. There were 188 runners so it was a small race but that was great for us, big enough to feel like an event but small enough to just enjoy running it and not feel crazy overwhelmed. The course was along the coast line and with the natural slope of the shore there was really just a narrow path to run without feeling greatly off kilter.



I found these super cute tanks on ETSY! (Side note here, I ordered these on Monday, we were leavign for the beach on Saturday, I let the etsy shop know and they had these in my mail box on Thursday! Great service and no extra charge!!! Check them out: SheSquatsClothing)


For being a smaller event the race was very well organized. They had a DJ/Announcer Tent and a very clearly marked Start/Finish. It was an out and back and at the ½ way point they had a water station and volunteers along with a marker indicating that this is where you turn. 

Tess and I didn’t really race this event, we ran it just to enjoy it and so we took our time and ran for fun and really enjoyed the beauty of the location and atmosphere! Runners where there from all over, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, New York, Colorado, Indiana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, Maryland, Georgia, South Carolina, and of course North Carolina so that was fun!


The sun was rising and the weather was great! The course started out on the soft sand above the high tide mark but quickly ran down to the shore where the sand was more packed and easier to run on. Of course we decided that running 1 mile on sand has to be the equivalent to running 3 on pavement. Ha Ha! It is definitely different. 


The finish of course was back up a slight “hill” or incline back up to the start but otherwise the course was flat and did I mention gorgeous! 


All finishers received a medal and there was breakfast at the finish for runners. Water was in abundance. The only thing that went wrong was somehow I was given last years medal. I have since talked to the race director and he has already put the correct medal in the mail to me! He was so quick to respond to me and for that I am greatful!










This event was really fun and I am so glad I found it! If we are ever back here again I would certainly run it again and I highly recommend this race if you are ever in the area. 

The Outer Banks Running Company offers several events throughout the year! Be sure to check them out if you are traveling this way!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...