Wednesday, May 18, 2016

HOP Race Recap

As I sit here working now with the HOP Race Committee to begin the planning and preparations for next years HOP Race I realized that I have never done a HOP Race Recap.

I am now a part of the Morganton Service League and the HOP Race is a local 5K and 10K event in Morganton, NC that is held in October of every year. The HOP Race is hosted by and benefits the projects of the Morganton Service League (MSL). HOP = Help Our Projects. In past years, the proceeds have contributed to the major renovations and additions of local parks in the community.

The HOP was my very first 5K ran in October 2013. 


I had just ran my very first mile ever in April of that year and by October I ran my first 5K. I finished in 30:02! My daughter ran it too and placed in her age group!

It was a great race! This was before I joined the Service League. 

Here is a the most recent project that the proceeds of this event went to:


This race is such a fun event! It is now held the second Saturday in October each year. There are typically about 200 runners in the 5K event. The race has packet pick up the day before the race and race morning. 

The race committee does this amazing thing to the race course. They chalk it! As you run along you will see thank you's to the sponsors and encouragement to each and every runner!


It's so neat to see your name as you are running along. 

Registration is super easy and race morning is very well organized. 

The race starts just below Martha's Park in Morganton, NC and carries runners down to the local greenway then back. It is a fairly easy course, the last half mile is a steady climb up but nothing too bad at all!


The race is family friendly, there is a fun run just before the 5K and the race route is well supplied with volunteers and water stations. 

After the race there is the awards ceremony and local potters make the overall awards for the runners. 

The HOP Race was the perfect first race for me! Being out there for the first time in the midst of all the excitement was addictive and here I am today... Still on the run!



(My little mini me running it in):




This is a great event and is for a great cause! If you are in Western, NC in October you should check this race out!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...