Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Goals for the new year

I have been working to layout my goals for 2016. I really do believe that it is important to make smart goals for anything you set out to do. I also feel strongly that it is important to write the goals down. I love social media and technology but I also love paper and ink! I think holding a pen and actually writing the goal down helps to ingrain the goal in a bit deeper than just typing a quick note. Also because we don't often write on paper we are much more likely to see our written goals more often than a typed goal in a note or on social media that is likely to become buried beneath everything else that happens in our day to day lives. 

I also think that regardless of whether we meet the goal or not we should continue to write them down. People make vision boards for example and just because they didn't build their dream house that year doesn't mean that they should stop dreaming for it right!

There is something pretty exciting about making goals each year. Yes, I know, many are often ridiculed. I have always heard for example that the gym is never busier than it is in January. People giggle at that and maybe it is true but so what? Why can't someone set a goal of going to the gym, even if real life happens and they don't stick with it at least they gave it a good try! Think about riding a bike, though, we get on, we try, we fall off... Do we ever completely quit? Usually not, we usually get back on, we may fall of again, but at some point we get on and we keep riding. Do we ridicule the little child who fell off that one time? No we don't.


I feel that way with my running journey!  I set my first running goal in 2014. I had ran 254 miles in 2013 and so I wanted to double that for 2014. I set the goal of 508 miles. I did not reach my goal, in fact I was pretty far from it, I finished out 2014 having run 261 miles. My running goal for 2015 was to complete a half marathon and I DID! I have thought a lot about what I wanted to set for 2016 and feeling pretty ambitious and excited about 2016 I have set some pretty lofty goals:

I want to try to run 1,000 miles this year! (I ran 437 miles in 2015 but I did have a tough time getting back into a running groove). I may or may not make it but I am going to run towards it! My running plan for this year to help me reach this goal is to run 3 miles on Monday, 4 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Thursday and at least 8 miles on Saturday. So far I am off to a good start!

I want to run two half marathons in 2016! I am signed up and training for one in March and I will start to look for another maybe in October or November. Training for these two half's should also help me reach my first goal. 

I want to start cross training again with HIIT and Yoga! Those practices made such an impact on me that I want to begin incorporating them into my life again. 

I hope I reach my goals, I am going to wake up each day with the intention to do my best moving toward the completion of these. If I do it will be amazing and if I don't I will still be better off for trying and be better the odds for the year that follows! 

Never ever discourage someone for trying something new, for making a goal, even if it does sound a bit big and if they do fall off the bike, so to speak, offer words of encouragement and help them back up!

Cheers to a new year! Go get your pen and paper and write those lofty goals down! Wake up each day with a grateful heart and take a step toward your goal!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...