Monday, February 2, 2015

"The woods are lovely dark and deep" - Running through the woods!

I am learning to love trail running as much as I love street running. Since getting married I now live in the country. I have lived in the city for the past 11 years so this move is a new adventure for me. We have a vast wooded area behind our house and I have enjoyed running an old farm road on the property that leads to this open breathtaking view. I typically get in a good three mile run on this route!
 

Farm Road

Farm Road

Farm Road


In the last couple of months a few old logging roads have been cleared and now I have a lot more trails to run. I am getting pretty excited. It's a totally different experience. When running in town it is just me and the pounding of the pavement, I tend to really focus on my pace, my primary routes are relatively flat with a few hills. Running through the woods, however, I am running a bit slower, I make sure I am careful with my stride to avoid roots, rocks, etc. Lots of obstacles along the route making the focus more on stability and strength! Surprisingly this doesn't bother me, usually I am discouraged by a slower pace, I am very competitive with myself (ha ha), but I am actually enjoying trail running in a completely different way.


Farm Road

Farm Road



It's another outlet for me to connect with nature. A run on these trails is very invigorating, there is this freeing feeling about being out in the wilderness running. It is inevitable that you will get dirty! So if you go, be prepared! I am learning as I go. 

I have enjoyed finally getting good use out of my trail shoes! My Montrail shoes have proven to be a worthy investment. I get so muddy and since I still enjoy road running, I do not want to muddy up my Brooks! I do love my Brooks so much I may eventually try out a pair of their trail shoes!

It has been especially exciting while out on my trail runs to see at the animal tracks out on these trails! I have seen Turkey, Deer, Coyote and Bear

Trail Run

Trail Road

Trail Run



I bought James a Moultrie Game Camera for Christmas and we have just put it out in the last week and caught these guys on camera! These images are from our Moultrie D5 Camera, pretty good I'd say! 

A few Deer...

Trail Run

Trail Run

Trail Run

Trail Run

A Coyote...

Trail Run

And a little bunny, so cute!

Trail Run

I can't wait to see what all we discover is out there! I also can't wait to explore all the new trails!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...