Thursday, January 8, 2015

Gone to the Potts!

On October 19th, the Sunday after we returned from our honeymoon, we hiked to "The Pots" with my family. 

This was the last time I spent time with my Uncle Jerry. As you know, he passed away very unexpectedly in December.

It was a very emotional hike, these Potts, as my nana used to call them, was a place she played as a child. Located just a short walk into the South Mountains.

Golden Valley, NC

The Potts, as she called them, are large basins formed naturally in the middle of Potts Creek. As a child my nana would swim in these basins. The trail head is located off Old CC Road in Golden Valley and is just a short half mile walk in. We parked in the open field just past Fellowship Baptist Church, a little white church up on a hill located miles in away from much of anything.

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

After a short walk into the woods, cross the creek and hang a right.

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

The trail isn't marked but it is well worn. You will cross the creek a couple of times.

Golden Valley, NC

Then all of a sudden you are there!

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

It is absolutely beautiful and unlike anything I have ever seen before!

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

The perfect swimming holes! I can't wait to return in the summer!

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

This gentleman was our guide, he turned 91 the day after our hike and has been hiking the South Mountains his whole life!

Golden Valley, NC

I love this picture of my family, my uncle on the right is missed beyond measure.

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC

Golden Valley, NC





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...