Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Oh what a night!

Early on I mentioned that as a general rule James and I tend to learn through our mishaps... (Yes, I mean mistakes but mishaps sound so much better doesn't it?)



Last night a friend and I opted for an evening run. We planned to meet right after work at 5:30 pm and we were planning to run five miles. Just before meeting we questioned the sunset time (5:21 pm eek!!) but felt we'd be able to knock out this run before it was too dark. Running through town is no problem when it's dark because there are ample street lights. This route, however, ended with a stretch on an unlit, paved trail nestled in the woods.



We shortened our route to 3.5 miles but by the time we hit the trail the sun was no where is sight and darkness had fallen... Hard!! We couldn't stop or turn around as we had left a car at the end of the trial where we'd finish. We were totally unprepared for the conditions we faced. We are extremely thankful for the flashlight app on the iPhone but it was less than ideal! The path was uneven from the tree roots growing and expanding underneath the pavement and I kept thinking I was sure to fall flat on my face! 

We finished in one piece (we ran a 9:15 minute mile pace) and felt pretty hard core afterwards, ha ha, but it got me thinking about what I need in case I find myself running in the dark again.The pepper spray and reflective arm bands from my stocking stuffers list would be great and most definitely reflective clothing is a must but a head lamp would be essential! This Petzl Tikka 2 comes highly recommended. It is super light weight and compact! There are several others out there marketed for running but they are much heavier (and much more expensive). I think I may give this one a try and see what I think! 


Any other recommendations??


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...